Hannah Baxter is the Senior Beauty Editor for the luxury lifestyle site Coveteur. In today’s interview, she discusses working for Coveteur, her career and her plans for the future.
1. For the people who might not know you, who are you and what do you do?
I’m Hannah, Coveteur’s Senior Beauty Editor. I write about all things hair, skin, and makeup related, and I’m passionate about spotlighting new brands, female founders, and science-backed innovations within the industry.
2. What sparked your interest in pursuing a career in writing?
I knew I wanted to be a writer from the moment I could articulate my future goals. It became clearer that this was the industry for me once I explored other career options and couldn’t find anything that really made me happy. I still love playwriting (my focus in college) as well as fiction and creative non-fiction, but for now, I am happy as a journalist.
3. How did you start working at Coveteur?
I’d worked in editorial previously, but left to join the brand side for some jewelry companies. My heart was never fully in it, so I eventually put some feelers out and landed at Coveteur.
4. What are your go-to skincare products?
In my line of work, that’s a tough question—my routine is always changing. But I adore Caudalie Overnight Detox Oil, Tatcha Silken Pore Perfecting Sunscreen, La Mer Concentrate, Biossance Eye Cream, and Pai Rosehip Oil Cleanser.
5. What is one topic you haven’t written about that you would love to explore?
Whatever the newest innovation is for 2020. I have some predictions from top dermatologists and plastic surgeon’s but I’m always looking ahead for the next great treatment or product.
6. What is the best thing about being a senior beauty editor for Coveteur?
Being able to meet the people behind the brands I love and discovering new ones that are about to blow up. And getting the occasional super glam facial 🙂
7. In your opinion, what makes good content for people to read about?
Something well-researched, honest, and funny. Beauty is such a universal and accessible topic, so when someone can tackle it in a smart and humorous way that is also relatable, which makes for a good read.
8. What is one philosophy that you live by?
Work hard and be nice to people.
9. What does a typical day in your life look like?
I usually have an event or breakfast in the morning for a brand or with a PR agency, and then I have a daily editorial meeting. The rest of the daily is usually consumed with writing, interviews, more meetings, appointments, and then there’s almost always another event or dinner at night. It’s a lot of facetime between brand reps and founders because there’s always something new coming out. The beauty girls run around a lot!
10. What are three makeup products you cannot live without?
Benefit Brow Gel, Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Rose, Westman Atelier Super Loaded Tinted Highlighter.
11. Is there anything you can disclose about your upcoming projects?
There’s going to be a lot of glitter, aka one of my favorite things. I’m also tackling environmental responsibility in both packaging and formulation, so interviews with industry leaders who are setting the bar for responsible practices.
12. Do you have any advice for people who want to follow in your footsteps?
Don’t compare your trajectory to anyone else’s. There’s no one way to “make it” in the industry, and it’s definitely not as glamorous as it may seem from the outside. You have to really want it and be willing to put in the hours, but also don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself and ask for what you’re worth.
13. What plans do you have in mind for the future?
I feel like I’m just starting to hit my stride in this world, so I’m open to whatever the universe brings me. Maybe I want to create a product of my own, or write a book… who knows?
14. What are some causes that are dear to your heart and hope to bring more awareness to in the future?
Environmental responsibility like I mentioned, advocating for more women of color in this space, and championing female-founded companies.
Thank you so much to Hannah for this lovely interview. She is an amazing journalist so go check her and her work out on:
Photo Credit: Alec Kugler