Tammy Gillis is an award-winning actress and an indisputable talent powerhouse who has so far appeared in over 50 roles across a variety of acclaimed film and television projects. Next up, Tammy looks forward to continuing her recurring role on Freeform’s “Siren”, nominated in 2018 by the Teen Choice Awards for Choice TV Breakout Show. Her reprisal of the determined Deputy Marissa Staub can be caught on season two of “Siren” currently airing on Freeform and ABC Spark Canada. She is currently working on a new top-secret project that she can’t wait to share!
1. For the people who might not know you, who are you and what do you do?
My name is Tammy Gillis. I am a Canadian actress, director, and producer.
2. When did you know you wanted to become an actress?
I was obsessed with the traveling theatre shows that would come to my very small town of 800 people and would line up for hours to be able to sit in the front row. A new English teacher moved to our town and started a drama club and I jumped at the chance to perform. The second I hit the stage, I was hooked!
3. What was your reaction when you got the role of Deputy Marissa Staub on “Siren”?
I was out for lunch with a friend when I got the phone call and was over the moon. I may have screamed with joy and scared everyone around us.
4. What is the best thing about acting?
The ability to crawl into another character’s skin, to be able to do things you may not get an opportunity to do, to be creative and take risks with your choices and to work with some really incredibly inspiring people. Also, interacting with the fans and hearing or seeing how they feel about work you do is pretty incredible.
5. What did you learn about the industry that you can share with aspiring actors?
If you love it, do it and don’t listen to people who don’t support that choice.
6. What are some misconceptions about your job as an actress?
That it is easy to be a working actress. People don’t realize the amount of work and training and tons of auditions it takes to book paid work – blood, sweat, and tears!
7. What are some projects that you would love to work on?
Anything comedy – Schitt’s Creek just announced their final season and I can’t handle it!! I’d also love to play a superhero.
8. Who are your role models and why?
I greatly admire Meryl Streep and Cate Blanchett for their talents, their passion and their persistence in creating amazing work.
9. What values are most important to you?
Loyalty. Honesty. Kindness.
10. What kind of roles do you prefer when you are looking at a potential character to portray?
I like anything that challenges me and pushes me outside my comfort zone. I love to play characters that are real and flawed and human.
11. Who are some actors that you would love to work with on a project?
The list would be enormous! I just feel incredibly blessed for every opportunity I get to work on any project.
12. What do you hope to achieve in the future?
I want to continue to work as an actress on projects that tell some incredible stories. I want to create some of my owns projects. I want to direct and produce more work. I love what I do and just want to keep doing it!
13. What are some causes that are dear to your heart and hope to bring awareness to?
My family has a big history of cancer so I would like to be more involved in a group that brings awareness to cancer prevention and a cure. I am a proud supporter of the #MeToo movement and continue to mentor up-and-coming actresses in my community.
14. Do you have anything to say to the people who support you?
A massive thank you so much for your continued support!! I appreciate it more than you know. I’m currently working on a new top-secret project that I can’t wait to share! Please follow my journey on social media as I love sharing it and hearing from all of you.
Thank you so much to the wonderful Tammy Gillis for the interview. You can find more about her and her work on: