Kimi Alexander grew up in a small town in Ontario on the border of Minnesota. She was raised playing many sports including badminton, figure skating and squash at a competitive level. She moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba to complete her Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre and Film. After post-secondary, Alexander moved to Vancouver. Alexander plays Emily in an upcoming episode of “Tribal,” (2019) Sara in “Supernatural,”(2019) and Scarlet in “Charmed.” (2019) She plays Eden in “Life Sentence,” (2018) starring Lucy Hale. You can also catch Alexander in the TV series “Take Two,” (2018) starring Rachel Bilson, and the feature film “A Dogs Way Home,” (2019) starring Ashley Judd.
1. For the people who might not know you, who are you and what do you do?
My name is Kimi Alexander and I am an actress in film and television.
2. How did you become involved in the entertainment industry?
I saw a broadway show in grade 11 and that’s what began the idea of pursuing a career in acting. I started taking lots of acting classes and got an agent and that led to my auditions.
3. Of the roles that you played, who was your favorite to portray and why?
So far, my favorite role was playing Emily in Tribal. I felt very connected to the character and the scenes felt so natural for me. Also, the cast and crew were all incredibly down to earth and so supportive.
4. What do you love most about your job as an artist?
I love that it is always different and that you can always keep growing in it. I also love expressing myself creatively.
5. If you weren’t an actress, what would you be doing?
I’m not fully sure, my heart is so set with acting now but I know that before in my life I have considered being a flight attendant or working with dogs. I have a big passion for traveling and I want to help dogs who don’t have a safe home or home at all to end up somewhere good.
6. What kind of roles do you prefer when you are looking at a potential character to portray?
I love strong roles and also would love to play a character who is the comedic relief in a show. Something really goofy would be fun!
7. What is your best memory from any set?
One of my best memories yet from set is working on Charmed and getting to be levitated into the air for a scene.
8. Do you have a secret talent?
I can spin a badminton racket on my pinky.
9. What are some misconceptions about your job as an actress?
Many people think it’s just what they see on the outside. All set life and anything we choose to share about our day to day on social media. There are still financial challenges at this stage and many actors still on their way up are working part-time jobs around gigs and auditions.
10. Who are some artists that you admire and why?
I admire Meryl Streep, for her talent and work ethic. I love watching what she can do with a character on screen.
11. What is one piece of advice you would give to your younger self?
I would tell my younger self to not eat so many poutines and chips in my teen years.
12. Do you have any advice to aspiring actors who want to get started in the industry?
Train lots and with good teachers. Don’t take anything personally and leave your ego behind best you can.
13. What are some causes that are dear to your heart and hope to bring more awareness to in the future?
Protecting abused and unwanted animals. They do not have a voice to tell you someone is hurting them and I find it so heartbreaking how someone can hurt something so innocent and loving.
Thank you so much to Kimi for the lovely interview. You can find more about her and her work on:
Photo Credit: William Orsua