Coming out of Vancouver B.C. is Em Haine! This wild child is the only offspring from an Austrian immigrant father and French-Canadian mother. A colorful youth lead Em to be homeschooled as a teenager and catapulted her to London, England to study the Meisner technique at The Actors Temple while taking fine-art at Central Saint Martins. After graduation Em moved back to ‘Hollywood North’, was scouted by an agent and joined local punk band The Dirt singing backing vocals and playing bass. It was out of Vancouver that Em booked the role of oddball Noreen Vanderslice in critically acclaimed FX mini-series Fargo (2014). Buckle up folks, she’s only just begun!
1. For the people who might not know you, could you introduce yourself?
Well howdy, I’m Em Haine. I have a cat named Clementine, a dog named Iggy Pup and I play Elspeth on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
2. What sparked your interest in acting and how did you get started?
Ever since I was a little kid I’ve wanted to be an actor. I’ve always been dramatic and theatrical. Big emotions, a strong creative inclination and not very good within the confines of the education system. When I (finally) finished high school I backpacked through Europe and ended up settling in London. There I trained in the Meisner technique. At the time it felt oh so scary to pursue acting. It meant risking failure at the thing that meant the most to me in my life. But what was scarier was the thought of never starting. Cut to now- despite how tough the industry can be, the pursuit of my dreams has lead me to freedom.
3. Season 3 of “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” will be out on the 24th on Netflix. What can you say about your character’s development this season?
Oooo I can’t say much. We see seances, Hilda’s cooking and hell itself. There’s a lot more of Elspeth than in part two. Hang on to your broomsticks- we’re going for a ride!
4. How did you react when you found out you got the role of Elspeth?
I screamed a bunch and called my mom. We film here in my hometown of Vancouver and the city’s been buzzing ever since production started. Even with all that hype- being on set has surpassed all of my wildest expectations. They truly are like family.
5. What was your favorite scene to shoot?
My favorite scene I can’t talk about yet 😘 but The Missionaries episode was epic.
6. Who are some artists that inspire you?
There are so many, thankfully. Let’s narrow it down to a few actors in no particular order: Tilda Swinton, Adam Driver, Brigette Lundy-Paine, Caleb Landry Jones, Kristen Dunst, Uma Thurman, Helena Bonham Carter, Laura Dern and, of course, Meryl Streep.
7. Were you aware of the impact “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” would have on your career and the general audience?
I really try not to set expectations for things that are out of my control, like gaining followers or making heaps of money. I just hope people like what I do enough that I can
keep doing it. 🙏🏾
8. Can you disclose anything about your upcoming projects?
Watch for me in the upcoming season of The Magicians as a warrior fairy!
9. What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?
Besides Sabrina, being a part of Fargo season 2 is pretty mind-blowing. Sometimes I think back on it and it seems like a dream.
10. How do you deal with the stress of the entertainment industry?
Such an integral part of the job. Because I am so enraptured with work, I find I’m at my happiest when I’m simultaneously using my creativity for other projects. Mainly music, painting, and improv!
11. What is your dream role and why?
Hm. That’s a tough one because there are so many characters I want to try on. There have to be because what happens when I book that dream role? Is that it? But definitely something Southern, some kinda anti-hero and COMEDY! *Finger guns*
12. Do you have any advice for aspiring actors who want to get started in the industry?
Know that the majority of actors have side jobs. It’s a tough long game. Which is why many people give up on it. But if you really love it, if you can’t do anything else, then don’t quit! There is space for everyone. Keep your friends close, chase your muse and feed your soul. The highs are soaring.
13. What do you have in mind for the future?
I want to live in New York City.
14. What are some causes that are dear to your heart and hope to bring awareness to?
With the state of the planet, the most important issue we need to give our immediate attention to is the climate crisis. Education, donation/volunteering and writing our local representatives can and will change the world! Get informed.
Plastic Ocean trailer
Volunteer. Get political.
Let’s hold the government accountable
Photographer Kate Whyte
Makeup Artist Claudia Pooley