Alexander Richard Ludwig was born in Vancouver, Canada. After Starring in the hugely successful blockbuster, The Hunger Games (2012) (for which he received two awards), Alexander went on to work in films such as The Final Girls (2015) and received critical acclaim and for his performance as Bjorn Ironside in the Global Hit Television Series, Vikings (2013). Those who work with him speak of his fervent passion for his craft, coupled with his humility and charm and his most recent work on Vikings (2013) has made him one of the most promising and sought-after stars of his generation. When he isn’t acting, Alexander can be found writing for film and television as well as writing music, surfing, extreme skiing, skydiving, traveling the world and working with a variety of philanthropic organizations.
1. For the people who might not know you, who are you and what do you do?
My name is Alexander Ludwig and I am an actor and musician. You can currently catch me on a TV show called Vikings portraying the character Bjorn. I am also a huge fan of the outdoors. I love doing everything from surfing to skiing.
2. When did you know you wanted to become involved in the entertainment industry?
I knew I wanted to become an actor and get involved in the industry for as long as I can remember. I was actually 9 years old when I got my first acting job so you could say I started early in my life.
3. What did you learn about the industry that you can share with aspiring actors?
That you need to be in this game for the right reasons. If you sort of want it, it’s not enough. It is such an emotional rollercoaster of highs and lows and the only thing that has kept me going is my love for acting. I always knew I owed it to myself to keep fighting for a chance to succeed because, if I didn’t, I would never forgive myself.
4. How did you get involved with Bite The Bullet Stories?
For the people who don’t know, Bite The Bullet Stories is a social initiative created by Farrah Aviva. It features celebrities, social influencers, and everyday people ‘biting the bullet’ and opening up to share their personal experiences of hardships, triumphs, and determination for change. My girlfriend Kristy Dawn Dinsmore actually got involved before I did and felt I would be a good fit for the project. I had been going through my own personal struggles and I felt it could be a useful tool to help others who may be facing similar issues.
5. Where do you see your Ambassadorship with Bite The Bullet Stories heading towards?
I’m not sure but that is what is exciting about it. It is a very interesting project because it is so broad. It is a platform for anyone to speak about anything they have struggled with. It is our hope that through this open dialogue we can get rid of the sigma’s that accompany so many personal issues.
6. Who did you love working with on a past project and why?
Anthony Hopkins, I had always looked up to him as an actor and learned a lot from him. It was such a surreal moment to get work alongside him on Blackway.
7. What is the scariest part of an audition?
Leading up to it I guess. It is easy to put so much weight on each and every audition as if your life depends on getting that specific role. Once you can get through that, and you’re in the room and embedded in your scene, it usually is never as bad as you thought it would be.
8. What show could you do for years?
Breaking Bad…the writing on that show was simply spectacular.
9. What would your dream role be?
I’m not sure I even know the answer to that. Life is so full of surprises that I think whatever my dream role is in my head will never be what it turns out to be and I look forward to the surprise.
10. What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?
My sobriety. I am so grateful for my family and loved ones who stuck with me through the hard times. Without my sobriety, I don’t get to have the amazing life I live today.
11. If you could choose, what three actors would you really want to work with?
Daniel Day lewis
Paul Newman (if he were alive).
12. What are some of your favorite movies or series?
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is such a great one. I also love the series Fargo right now.
13. What is one piece of advice you would give to your younger self?
Stop worrying about that which you cannot control…enjoy the surprises that come your way because that’s what makes life exciting.
14. What are some causes that are dear to your heart and hope to bring awareness to?
15. Do you have something to say to the people who support you?
Without you, I don’t get to live my dream, you have given me the greatest gift I could ever ask for and I am eternally grateful.
16. What social stigmas does society need to get over?
There’s a lot… mental health is a big one that comes to mind.
Thank you so much to Alexander for agreeing to the interview! Not only is he an amazing actor but he is also an amazing human being so go and check him and his work out down below: